Saturday

Something a little different today

On Saturday I decided to go out  with the camera. It was a beautiful day and I had it all to myself for once, so I hopped on a couple of buses and went into Providence to do a little street photography and take some shots of buildings.
On the way home I stopped in Pawtucket. I wanted to make sure to get a photo of this news stand located at 30 High St.


While I was there I decided to go over and talk to the owner. Meet Frank Tavares, one of the sons of Tavares and Sons News and maybe the last of a vanishing breed in RI.



Frank told me that he has been running this news stand for about 40 years now and that it had been opened by his father 75 years ago. Everyday Frank can be found here, doing what his father did before him. He says that business isn't what it used to be, in part because of the road construction that has rerouted traffic away from the city. Yet he stays. Although he didn't say so I got the impression that he enjoys his work and likes the idea of carrying on a family business started so long ago.

I told him I was going to do a little story about him and his stand and hopefully send more folks his way. So if you need a paper or a pack of smokes, stop by and see him. He'll be there and you don't even need to get out of your car. Just pull up and he'll come out, because not only is Tavares News Stand what he believes to be the last business of its kind in RI, but it is surely the only one that still offers curbside service!


Remember Tavares News is located at 30 High St. in Pawtucket, RI, right down the hill from the Pawtucket Library.

According to the sign on the door which was designed and painted by a local artist after the original was destroyed during a break in many years ago, it's open Mon-Fri 5:30AM-8PM, Saturdays 5:30-6, and Sundays 5:30-1.


Supporting local small businesses is good for everyone. Let's join together to keep Frank around as long as possible before his business becomes yet another Pawtucket memory, like so many others have.

I know Frank will be glad to see you!

10 comments:

  1. Great story and fantastic photos. I love Pawtucket. I have seen your photos before and love your style. I am an acquaintance of Kerri A for a while, through her dad. I first saw your work from the photos you took of her family, and of course her little cutie Anthony.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :-) Small world isn't it? We almost "know" each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I love love love Providence! I'm on the west coast but have taken 2 trips to Connecticut and have always flown into the TF Green airport and spent some time round the area. The east coast is so very different than our west coast. I'm ready for another trip!
    Love the history, architecture and scenery there:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I Sylvia. I've always thought it would be a great place to live but the crime rate keeps me away. I don't go as much as I'd like too, but thinking I'm going to have to change that after today :-)

      Delete
  4. Great post. I love old shops and your photo journalistic style photography!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like that second photo, lovely. It seems you have a knack for environmental portraits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great idea!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun little shoot with lots of history!
    http://www.maggiemalsonphotography.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cristin Emrick7:03 AM

    Looks so nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great story and images! Its so important to remember the small local businesses. Thats where it all began in the beginning. :)

    ReplyDelete