Saturday

In the style of....

Today begins the first of a monthly series titled "In the style of..." during which I will be challenging myself to take photos in the style of some of my favorite artists or photographers.

This first one is based on my favorite artist, Georgia O'Keeffe and her huge flower paintings. I have always wished I could recreate her work in my own paintings, but lacking her skill, I have turned instead to attempting to do so with my camera.

Georgia O’Keeffe was born in Sun Prairie, Wisconsin in 1887, where at an early age she longed to be an artist. She studied art for several years and although her student work was well received she found it unfulfilling, and for a short time abandoned the fine arts. She worked for a short time as a commercial artist before turning to teaching.

In 1915, she again turned to painting and it was then that a friend, Anna Pollitzer, showed some of her drawings to Alfred Stieglitz, a photographer and the "291 Gallery" owner. After two years he had convinced her to move to New York to paint full time. Six years later they were married and began one of the most well-known collaborations of the modernist era. It was in the 1920's that she began painting her large canvasses of "lush overpowering flowers filled with dynamic energy and erotic tension". These remain some of her most famous work and are my personal favorites.

Of these paintings, Georgia had this to say: "Most people in the city rush around so, they have no time to look at a flower. I want them to see it, whether they want to or not."

So here is my large flower photo, in the style of Georgia O'Keeffe.



 If you would like to read more about Georgia O'Keeffe's life and work please visit these two sites, which were very helpful to me.

Ellen's Place  which has a wonderful amount of information about Georgia's life and work as well as some images of her paintings.
PBS which has an article about her in their American Masters series.

I hope you've enjoyed this brief peek into the life of this amazing woman artist and also my photo! If you have, please leave me a comment. Also feel free to leave the name of your favorite artist or photographer and you might see a photo done in the style of your favorite one month!

11 comments:

  1. Great job, Cathy! I love O'Keefe, and your photo is lovely and an apt tribute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this series! Wonderful idea, and a great personal project :) I love the flower, a wonderful tribute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice image. This is a really nice idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cathy, what a great idea. Your photo is amazing and Georgia O'Keefe's large flower paintings are some of my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great project and a great start too - photo and story work so well together, look forward to seeing the rest of the series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super idea, go for it, great photo too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nailed it! These kind of projects are great to give yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful idea and great start. Hope you don't mind but I might have to do something like this on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't mind at all Deborah :-) and thanks everyone for the great comments!

    ReplyDelete